Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What has ONE DOLLAR done for you lately?

Last week I was running errands and it was fast approaching lunch time. I generally would just go straight home because (1) lunch at home is WAY cheaper than going to a fast food restaurant and (2) my boys go down for their nap right after lunch. BUT, I still had another place to go. I wanted to visit a friend who was anxiously awaiting news from her husband then currently in the middle of a 8 hour interview for PA School (Physician's Assistant). To help pass the time for her we decided to go through the Drive-Thru at Wendy's, raid their Dollar Value Meal, and make a surprise visit for lunch and play time for our boys (she has two boys the same ages as mine). Two 5ct. Chicken Nuggets, two Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers, two deluxe burgers, and a large fry later our total came to $9.43. Not too bad for feeding 6 people...

But I don't think that beats the deal I got at a garage sale recently. It all started with these two frames. Nothing was priced so I asked how much. He shrugged (yes "he", always ask the husband if he's available :) and said "One dollar for the pair." Sweet! I'll take them. I handed him a dollar bill and kept meandering.

Photobucket

Then I found a slotted spoon. I don't know how I've made it through six years of marriage without a slotted spoon. Every time we have canned corn or green beans or _____ (you name it) I would wish that we had a slotted spoon. I asked him how much. He shrugged his shoulders and said "Just take it." Really? Thank you! Then I found a baseball - perfect to go with the little thrift store baseball glove in brand new condition I recently got for my little guy's 3rd birthday coming up in just a week. Again, he said "Just take it." Wowsers! What a deal.

Photobucket

Just when I thought all my luck had surely run out and I headed back to the car with my goodies. Then I saw this in a pile of real junk (not connected to the garage sale) - this lonely little cupboard door that I have zero clue where it came from or what it could have been used for - it's at least 1.5" thick. But it had a chunky door knocker and some deep groves. I snatched it up and asked him what it belonged to. His response, "I have no idea, I was just going to throw it away. You can have it." Stay tuned for a makeover on this freebie :) I'm still in shock that I got all this for one little dollar...

Photobucket

So there you go. That's what ONE DOLLAR has done for me lately. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. You are the frugal queen. I'm excited for those makeovers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about bang for your buck! I can't wait to see what you do with that door... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow- that is amazing! Great, creative shopping!

    ReplyDelete